Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday, March 22

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
Matthew 35:36-37.
Living in the Moment
Were you taught by others to ignore a poor or homeless person on the street?
For most of my adult life, I’ve “walked the other way,” avoiding certain people on the street because they might be drug addicts looking for their next fix or assumed dangerous, or “just lazy”. This past year though, I experimented with living in the moment when these situations arise.
There was Darrell, sitting in a wheelchair in 15-degree weather, with a cup out. He mumbled a plea for help that I could barely understand. He needed money I gathered. I decided to buy him food instead. I went inside to the restaurant nearby to get his food and returned to deliver it, but soon realized he had no way of feeding himself since he was unable to grasp the bag. Upon further evaluation, I could see he was a paraplegic. So, we went inside together and I fed him, one bite at a time. We talked, he told me his story. He was born this way, lived in Detroit, had one best friend and no family. He asked about me and then the meal was over, but not really. My encounter with Darrell would likely stay with me forever. On that day I fed Darrell, I had been lamenting my challenging recovery from shoulder surgery the week before. It would take months to maybe get full range of motion back. Darrell had no working limbs, no family, and not much of anything else, except a warm and grateful spirit.
Living in that moment with Darrell gave me pause. It allowed me to, yes, help someone in need, but also to reflect on all that I have with a heavy heart. Darrell has so little, not even his health. Yet, his heart was filled with gratitude and a quiet spirit that was strangely comforting to me. Suddenly, my shoulder was not really a problem, nor was I worried about whatever else was on my mind that day. It didn’t matter. I was filled with the mystery of God’s grace and healing. Living in the moment allowed that to happen; Darrell, who had very little, was the catalyst.
 
Dear Lord, open my eyes to those in need. Help me to stop and listen to the poor and homeless. Let me share a small part of my blessings and time with a stranger in need. Help me to value each and every human being regardless of circumstance.
 
Laura Fogelman (2014)


[The following appears only in the print version]
Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was against them. And early in the morning he came walking towards them on the lake. But when the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified, saying, ‘It is a ghost!’ And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, ‘Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.’
Peter answered him, ‘Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.’ He said, ‘Come.’ So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came towards Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’ Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, ‘You of little faith, why did you doubt?’ When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, ‘Truly you are the Son of God.’
Matthew 14:22-33
I've always been intrigued by Jesus' walking on the water. He did it with confidence, knowing he could. To me, it is a test of my faith; some goal I wish to achieve, some fear I wish to conquer. If I sink - there you go - come back another time. If I succeed and accomplish my goal, I am elated of course, the waters grow wider and the challenges deeper – but you will not die; I'll tell you why, because the Lord is there to save you then and always.
Bea Street (1990)

No comments: