Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wednesday, March 19

The glory you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
John 17:22-24

Glorify and Enjoy God Forever

At key points in many athletic events, we see the successful athlete pointing to heaven, kneeling or saying give glory to God, at these points of apparent personal success there is a union with God. The challenge is how do we continue to feel that joy and union with God and want to glorify Him the rest of the time -- through practices, everyday work, relationships with family and others, sorrow, joy, and everyday existence.
The first question in the Shorter Catechism in our Book of Confessions is "What is the chief end of man?"
And the answer given is "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy him forever." We all can try to do this on occasion especially at the high points (if we can let our egos go) and realize that we are blessed by God at our moments of triumph and that it is his grace that has allowed us to succeed. But the real question is what are we trying to succeed at. Is it to achieve some personal accomplishment, goal or victory? If it is we may be triumphant in that narrow goal, but what about the rest of the time (the vast majority of time.)
I believe that most of us are too focused on achieving small victories ( and if we are thankful, giving some glory to God.) But, I believe that we should place the real emphasis on enjoying Him forever. To achieve this, we need to reorient our lives to focus on acknowledging that we are and want to be in the presence of God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) at all times. Christ has welcomed us into this unity if we will only take it.
When you start living in the knowledge of this presence you start seeing the world very differently. You become very thankful You become aware that you don't need to let the world consume you and dictate what you do. You see opportunities to work with others, help others, share with others. Your life becomes much brighter as you experience the light of the Lord and you shout "Glory to God in all that I do and all that I am."
A friend of mine died yesterday. In the later part of his earthly life he started chasing the " wild goose" (or the holy spirit) that we don't know where it will lead us, but the Spirit will be present and there will be opportunities for us to share our blessing. Bruce has chased the "wild goose" right into the Kingdom and is with Jesus forever. Why don't you start chasing the "wild goose" or walking with Jesus and enjoying God forever?
Prayer: All glory to you dear Lord, let me live to enjoy you forever and always. Amen

Dave Zimmer (2014)

No comments: