Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday, April 7

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6
I often think about those who have given up so much to be true to their faith. From the martyrs in the Bible to those still persecuted today, I am in awe of the courage people have displayed. Would I, as a Christian, have that courage?
What does courage look like? So often we think of courage in extreme measures- these “headline grabbing” circumstances that we gravitate toward. But courage is all around us in the most common of situations, and we often fail to recognize it.
A lovely girl I have the pleasure of knowing at FPC loves to sing and is a member of the children’s choir. But when she hears beautiful music she often starts to cry. She does not want to stand out in that way. She does not want to cry. She does not want people to see her like this. Each time the choir sings in worship she pushes through it, trying to mask her tears with a smile. She lifts up her voice and gives it her all, never missing a word, well aware that people see her crying. Her love of being part of this community of God is greater than her need of personal comfort. She is my hero. What courage it takes to honor God with her voice and share herself with the congregation, all the while being uncomfortable with her tears. This “simple act of courage” has had a huge impact on me, and once again a child is my teacher. Would I have this courage? Would you?

Prayer: Loving God, Help me to have the courage to be uncomfortable and trust in your presence. May I honor you as much as my young friend. Amen. 

Joanne Blair (2014)

No comments: