Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thursday, March 5

The hearing ear, the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.
Proverbs 20:12

As I watched the juncos at our feeders this morning I pondered the mysteries of bird migration. How did these juncos know it was the third week of October and time to come south out of Canada to winter over at our place? While I can't be sure, I think they are the same ones who were here last year and the year before. And right on schedule, come May, they will head north again to their breeding grounds.
I will miss them, but in their place will come the birds that breed in our area each summer, that dazzle us with their beauty, impress us with their nest building, and delight us with their antics. I'm reminded of that wonderful Spiritual and hear and see Ethel Waters in my mind singing “His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me."
I've long thought that our Holy Father must have had a lot of fun when He made the birds. How could He not have laughed when He gave boobies blue feet or created the landing gear of the water birds? And imagine His pleasure at the haunting call of the loon.
Matthew tells us as soon as Jesus was baptized in the River Jordan the heaven was opened to Him and he saw the Spirit of God coming down like a dove and lighting on Him. At this time in the life of our church when baptism renewal has been explored, let us open our hearts, eyes, and ears to the Holy Spirit moving in our lives.
Thank you, Creator God, for being in our lives, thank you for the gift of your Son. Open our eyes and our ears to the beauty you have put all around us. Amen.

Pauline Davidson (1994)


The Lord God made them all

No comments: