Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Wednesday, March 4

When he reached the place, he said to them, ‘Pray that you may not come into the time of trial.’ Then he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, knelt down, and prayed, …
Luke 22:40-41

The poignant African American spiritual, "Let us Break Bread Together On Our Knees" says, "When I fall on my knees, with my face to the rising sun, Oh Lord, have mercy on me." What a beautiful picture! I wonder, does it matter how we pray?

My beloved grandfather, A. W. Cormack, was a revered Christian pastor. It was the custom in his denomination to kneel in prayer during the church service. Even when he was very old and in poor health, he would find a way to kneel between the pews on the tile floor, head bowed. Seeing him that way told me so much about his faith and devotion. Nowadays, few Christian gatherings seem to include kneeling. But what a humble and humbling posture it is!

When I led our children in bedtime prayers, we always knelt together. It was a special part of the evening ritual to name all our loved ones and put them in God's hands. In the years since, I have found myself on my knees only during times of personal crisis.

Recently I was dining in a small Middle Eastern restaurant. At the appointed hour, the only other two customers spread small mats, faced Mecca, and prostrated themselves on the floor for evening prayer. We respected them with a moment of silence.

Prayer seems a very personal, private experience to me. Probably more than the words we say or the posture we assume, what really matters in prayer is the connection we feel to God.

Prayer: God in my life, God in my lips, God in my soul, God in my heart. (from an ancient Celtic prayer)

Diane Falconer

No comments: