Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesday, February 23

For I was hungry and you gave me food. I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” “Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.”
Matthew 25; 35 & 40.

One of the most heartbreaking images I saw on the news in 2015 was that of a little Syrian boy, a toddler with Velcro sneakers who was found face down on a beach in Turkey. The photo was captioned “Humanity Washed Ashore”. The little boy’s name was Aylan Kurdi. His mother and five-year-old brother also drowned when their dinghy which was provided by smugglers capsized. The father stated that the life jackets they were wearing were fake.
When I saw Aylan’s sneakers I thought of the many times I have knelt and fastened a similar pair on my grandson Leonardo’s feet. I was with him recently in Boston for three months. When he woke up from his afternoon nap we would cuddle on the couch with Leo wrapped in his blanket, holding tight to his favorite stuffed animal “Rocco” the raccoon. Those moments are so precious, sharing the coziness and warmth of home. “Home” is cherished by each of us, especially young parents who lovingly create a safe, warm, secure place for their children. How very desperate one must be to leave that behind because of terrorism and war.
I recently listened to a tape of a sermon by Reverend Morgan Roberts – (2/17/85 “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star … Some thoughts at the beginning of Lent”):
“And so we come to another holy season of Lent, and we turn the focus of our faith upon that cross. Let us glory in it, but let us remember what it means to glory in the cross. It means to identify ourselves with all of those and with all of that in this world that breaks the heart of God, and to let our hearts be broken in compassion and identification with such people.”

Loving God, watch over the refugees of this world, fleeing bombed out cities, facing perilous seas and exhausting journeys. Show us the way to help and welcome them. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


Colleen Fisher

No comments: