Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Wednesday, February 24

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!
Psalm 139:23-24

Last summer, my eighth great grandchild, Hugo, was born. I know people who have many more “greats” than that, but for me, it was a kind of milestone, and reminded me of the great blessing of family.
When I saw him, only a few hours old, I marveled anew at tiny fingers and toes, and big dark eyes looking up at me, and I gave thanks for the precious gift of his life. When he opened his eyes, I was reminded of his grandmother’s eyes when she was born.
Recently, at a gathering of extended family, I met for the first time, and enjoyed visiting with, “in-laws.” and I expect to meet additional relatives as time goes by.
In contrast, I currently have neighbors and friends who have few, or no, family members, nearby. For them, the people around them have become their family, including staff people, grocery store personnel, even the mail carrier(s).
One day I was looking for manila folders while shopping. The store manager asked if I was finding everything I wanted and I told him I wanted manila folders. There were none on the shelf, but he went back to his office and found some, which he gave to me. This was really a small thing, but it meant a lot to me (I was sorting documents for tax purposes).
The experience reminded me to to be aware of ways, whether small or large, that I can be of assistance and, if possible, to respond by helping.

Dear God, please help me to notice my surroundings and to offer help as best I can, according to the situation and specific needs. Thank you for the strength and energy to respond. I ask this in the name of Christ. Amen.


Ginnie Spurr

No comments: