Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday, March 18

Jesus asked, “Who do you say that I am?"
Mark 8:29

When I considered the question “Who is the Christ?” the words “friend" and “companion” came to mind. I have always tended to think of him as a human being. Jesus came from humble origins and spent his life and work among the common people. This seemed to make him more approachable to me in prayer. He endured much pain and grief in his relatively short life. This helps me to feel that he has understanding and compassion for our problems. Because of his experiences, he is readily accessible to us for guidance during difficult times.
During my life as difficult problems arose, I always prayed for the strength to face the problem and do what needed to be done.
And now if I may digress... When I faced a crisis in my life a year and a half ago, I prayed and while outwardly, I seemed able to carry on physically and mentally, for the first time I was experiencing emotions of vulnerability, apprehension, and fear. Was Christ trying to tell me something? Why did my strength seem to falter? I suddenly felt the strength that had carried me through numerous problems in the past was eluding me.
Enter the Presbyterian Women, who with their acts of kindness and concern began to reinforce my strength. How comforting to exchange words with people who had gone or were going through similar experiences and could offer words of hope and encouragement. Gradually my fears began to dissipate and I realized I was not alone.
Whenever an act of kindness is shown, God is making his presence known.”
I am happy to report God is alive and well among God’s beloved people!
I think Christ was telling me that it was human to experience feeling of inadequacy during stressful times and it was not necessarily weak to lean on others for support. We are all members of the human race, who are experiencing like trials and tribulations of life. From time to time, we all need a helping hand.

Loving God, as we continue to travel the road of life, help us mature and grow in our Christian faith.

Jean Stem

from the 1995 Lenten Devotional

No comments: