Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesday, March 15

Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth
Psalm 46:10

BE STILL! LISTEN TO GOD!
I spent two months last summer trying to “be still." From June 3 to July 30 I kayaked down the Mississippi River. The fastest I was ever able to travel was 7 miles an hour. It took me two hours to break camp each morning and an hour and a half to set up camp at night. If a storm brought lightening I had to sit and wait. If a barge arrived at a lock before me, I had to sit and wait. If I couldn't paddle there I had to walk or sit and wait for someone to give me a ride.
All the sitting and waiting and traveling at a slow pace gave me plenty of time to pray. Plenty of time to "be still" and listen for God's call. Plenty of time to focus on my relationship with Jesus Christ. Plenty of time to learn to take a step toward letting God into every part of my life. Plenty of time to learn to live for today and let God take care of tomorrow.
Then I came back to the "real" world. Coming back was much harder than going. It was at least five weeks before I could carry on a conversation at anything close to normal speed. I needed someone to help me drive-I couldn't take in all the signs at a fast enough pace. The world was a speeding train and I was having a hard time jumping back on.
Actually, I wasn't trying very hard at all. I didn't want to get back on the train. I had discovered a life that was calm, a life that was not full of much worry, a life that had enough room for God and a life that allowed me to trust that God was watching over me. I didn't want to let that life go, I didn't want to become so busy that I would have to say to people and God, "I know you need my help today but I can't help you 'til next Tuesday."
I'm still trying to stay off that train. It's extremely hard. Life in this "real" world begs you to be busy. But, I'm fighting it every step of the way.
Lord, help us all to learn to "be still and know that you are God."  Walk us through our busy times. Show us places where life can slow down and we can live for today and give tomorrow to you. Amen.

Joelle D. J. Wickens
from the 1995 Lenten Devotional


No comments: