Saturday, March 5, 2016

Saturday, March 5

But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare …. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, 14I will let you find me, says the Lord
Jeremiah 29: 7, 12-14a



Prayers For Those Who Have No One to Pray for Them.
For the Afghani girl mouthing off to her American teacher.
For the teacher who yells back at her
instead of asking what's wrong.
For the second grader whose dad just bought a gun.
For the dad so he, please God, won't leave it out
where the child can find it.
For exiled parents whose children washed ashore
on the coasts of foreign countries.
For mothers who have to work nights
and leave their children home alone.
For children who are frightened to be home alone.
For teachers and students whose schools are crumbling.
Whose textbooks are outdated or non-existent.
For little children who are forced to be soldiers.
For young girls forced into arranged marriage.
For the teenage victim of an "honor" killing.
For the rape victim and the slut-shamed.
For those suffering from illness for which there is no known cure.
For those whose religious leaders distort the religious teachings.

For ourselves lest we forget.
And Lest we forget we are not perfect.
Lest we forget to name our daily blessings.


Alinda Wasner

No comments: