Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wednesday, March 2

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

GOD GIVES EVERLASTING LIFE
This verse has always been comfort to me as long as I can remember. It was on the list “to memorize” for my third grade Sunday School class. It is interesting how different stages of my life take on more meaning with Bible verses. Faith grows.
About a year ago we were on our Jerusalem mission trip. Our boat trip took us to Caperneum on the Sea of Galilee. We visited St. Peter's house and the Mount of Beatitudes What a restful place. In the garden, the eucalyptus trees had old roots tangled around one another. A stone walk led to a stone wall where we gathered and sang “Fairest Lord Jesus.” Our prayers followed and I thought of my Mom in the hospital. Was she comfortable...so many questions and thoughts, but I knew she was in God’s care. She had insisted I leave on this trip.
Mom passed away October 14, 1994. She was 96 years old and ready to be with her Lord and loved ones. Reading the Bible gave me strength and comfort. Easter gives renewed hope and belief in life everlasting. I thank God for my many blessings; but most of all I am thankful for my Mother and Father taking me to Sunday School to learn about Jesus Christ.
Dear God, our heavenly Father, we thank you for our many blessings. We thank you for each new day. Help fill us with the Holy Spirit as we prepare ourselves for Easter. Give us the JOY and renewed HOPE that come from believing in you. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Kerry Butters

from the 1995 Lenten Devotional

No comments: