Monday, March 27, 2017

Monday, March 27

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
Psalm 23:1-3a


There is a Robert Burns poem that has been a favorite in our family for many years. It is titled “A Grace Before Dinner” and we often use it for that, but it is useful in many other ways as well. For example, it often seems appropriate as a request for help or an expression of appreciation. It goes as follows:

O Thou, who kindly dost provide
For every creature's want
We bless thee, God of Nature wide,
For all thy goodness lent;
And, if it please thee, Heavenly Guide,
May never worse be sent;
But whether granted, or denied,
Lord bless us with content

These words took on new meaning for me when our daughter, just turning fourteen, faced a life-threatening illness. During those terrifying weeks she was in the hospital, the line, “for all thy goodness lent,” went over and over in my mind. I then realized our blessings are lent to us by a loving God and we have to accept His will, whatever may come. Fortunately, he blessed us with her full recovery.

As this prayer helped us through that great difficulty, it is equally effective in expressing great joy such as witnessing some beauty of nature which is beyond words.

Nancy Barker, 1996

No comments: