Wednesday, March 24, 2010

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 24

Matthew 5:3  “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 11:28-30  “Come to me, all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.  Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.”


Lindsey John, or LJ as she was known to friends, was an amazing young woman, attractive, popular, an honor student, and all state cross country champion.  At age twenty, facing the diagnosis of inoperable brain cancer, she began a race like no other in her young life.  It was a race run with humility, joy, courage, love, hope, and trust in God modeled by her Savior who suffered death on the cross.

In a letter she wrote to a friend, LJ said, “God has a plan.  I know no matter how hard I try to control it, destiny is out of my hands.  Life on Earth is wonderful, and I’m going to try to learn as much as I can and be the best I can.  However, I know that life in heaven will be indescribable.  Honestly, the day I make it there will be the best day of my life.”

While undergoing chemo, Lindsey continued with her studies at MSU and graduated with honors.  She ran with friends in the Terminating Cancer race.  She wore bright colored wigs and costumes to her bi-weekly appointments, bringing laughter and treats to her fellow patients.  A wounded healer, LJ welcomed friends and strangers into her heart and became a blessing to others, bearing the light of Christ.

When radiation and aggressive tumors ravaged her body and she could no longer walk, she allowed her friends to carry her to social gatherings and to be by her side to watch her sister’s wedding from her hospital bed days before her passing.

Lindsey lived and died courageously, trusting in God’s gracious love and the promise of salvation.  Those same things Lindsey clutched in her hands she gave generously to others, sustaining and comforting all those who mourn her passing.

Prayer:  God of grace, you have promised blessings of the kingdom to the poor in spirit.  Help us to live in the poverty of spirit which enables us to give and love abundantly.  Amen.
Sheila Roebke

No comments: