Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday, March 28

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16


This verse has been floating around in my head since I started thinking about working on this year's Lenten Devotional. And to me, that verse sounded so much better written like this:

In the same way, let your light shine before others so that they may … give glory to your Father in heaven.

Do you see what is missing?

I really don't like being in the limelight. I prefer working behind the scenes. I never wanted to be a cheerleader!

And then I began receiving your devotions. And I found myself looking at this scripture from another point of view. In those devotions, I saw the light shining in the beautiful people I know (and have known) in my life in this congregation. And I found myself thanking God for you. I realized that God really does speak to me through you, through your faithfulness, your kindness, your support, your sharing of yourself.

It is a big responsibility, modeling faithfulness for someone else. But then I remember Paul's words from another scripture passage:
I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
I Corinthians 3:6-7

Thank you, God, for giving me work to do and people to inspire me. Amen.

Charlotte Fischer


Let your light shine ...

No comments: